Today is #GivingTuesday, a global day of giving which is celebrated annually in the U.S on the Tuesday following Thanksgiving. Usually at this time of year, I’m deciding which charity I want to support and writing my post on Christmas Giving. I’m a minimalist, which I’m aware can make me difficult to shop for. Every year I put one nonprofit on my list and add a note, “Please make a donation in my name.”
However, I’ve decided to do things a little differently. This past year I’ve cancelled my ongoing donations to national organizations. Instead I’ve committed to donating locally so the money I contribute goes back into my own community. While national organizations are important, they often receive the most money and few of those dollars trickle down to local chapters. I’ve also decided that instead of choosing one nonprofit, I should include a short list of amazing local organizations. I hope that you choose to incorporate giving this holiday season, whether it be today on Giving Tuesday or asking others to make donations in lieu of gifts.
Here are the organizations I support:
- Add the Words: Idaho State legislators have a moral responsibility to update the Idaho Human Rights Act, ensuring that it will protect all Idahoans, including our gay and transgender neighbors.
- ACLU of Idaho: A non-partisan, non-profit organization dedicated to the preservation and enhancement of civil liberties and civil rights.
- International Rescue Committee in Boise: Responds to some of the world’s worst crises, delivering aid that saves lives while paving the way for long-term recovery.
- Pride Foundation: Inspires giving to expand opportunities and advance full equality for LGBTQ people across the Northwest.
- The Community Center: Committed to uniting the LGBTQIA community through educational and developmental programs.
- Wassmuth Center for Human Rights: Promotes respect for human dignity and diversity through education and fosters individual responsibility to work for justice and peace.
Lastly, there is one national organization that is also near and dear to my heart. COLAGE is the only organization for queerspawn that is run by us and for us. They are also participating in Giving Tuesday. Personally, I plan to focus my Christmas Giving locally but will also be setting up a donation campaign for COLAGE in January for my birthday. Please keep an eye out for that on my Facebook page.
I saw you tweeting about writing and I thought I’d check out your website. I really like it. Looks like Natalie has come a long way!
Keep making great stuff!